How to Market Your Music on Reddit
Reddit is one of the most popular sites on the internet. It's divided into smaller communities that focus on specific topics and interests,called subreddits. Within these subreddits users share and discuss content. If used properly, Reddit can be a great tool for promotion.
But be careful. Spam is not tolerated. If done improperly, your self-promoting ways will be shunned and banned.
I've been using Reddit as a marketing tool for my music for over two years. I’ve had a lot of failures and successes in that time and learned a lot. The main point being, using Reddit to market your music is a lot different than other methods.
7 Steps to Music Marketing Success on Reddit
- The number one rule is that you need to be a Redditor first, and a marketer second.
- Just like anything else, it all starts with a good song. A better song will get better results.
- Persistence pays off. Don’t be surprised if your first post doesn’t go far or get any attention. The community doesn’t know who you are yet.
- Don’t spam. Don't post about your music more than once per week. You should also avoid posting in the same subreddit two weeks in a row.
- Choose the right subreddit to post your music to. If your project’s genre has a subreddit, then post there, but you'll need to use more than one. Check this list of music related subreddits to get started.
- Before you post your music on a subreddit, you need to be an active member of that community. Never post your own stuff as your introduction. Be sure to comment on other posts and post things that have nothing to do with your project.
- Remember that the point of Reddit is to have a discussion, not promote your band. Whatever you do, make sure that your post invites some discussion. For the record, “What do you think of this song?” is not a valid discussion.
For a more detailed discussion, check out this post in r/bandmembers where I wrote about a specific Reddit marketing campaign for a CD release.
Michael Koelling is bass player living in Chicago, IL and has a Bachelor of Science in marketing from Maryville University. His current projects include Pink Monkey, Night of Fire, and Super Stolie and the Rockstars.
want to learn how to build real and valuable
connections using social media?
check out my selection of custom video tutorials here.
i'd love to give you a helping hand.
book a private coaching session with me via Skype.
click here for more info.